Change of Status


Within the U.S.

To apply for a change of status while in the U.S., be prepared to present the following documents.

I-901 SEVIS Fee ($200-effective from 10/27/2008)

Completed form I-539

$290 I-539 Application fee for Change of Status to F-1($200 I-539 Application fee for Change of Status to F-2 dependent)

Check made payable to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

Explanation why electing to change status

Copy of I-94 card (Front & Back)

Copy of spouse’s I-94 if dependent on his/her visa status

Copies of valid/current passport and visa pages

Copies of passport & visa pages for spouse if dependent on spouse’s visa status

Graduation Certificate & Official Transcript

Affidavit of support, bank statement, assistantship agreement

or other proof of sufficient funding.

All other immigration documents that were issued to the student

All previously issued I-20’s (if any)

Copies of spouse’s F-2 dependent I-20 or other if dependent on spouse’s visa


Outside the U.S.

Application is made for a new visa for the new status at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.