Maintaining Status


In order to maintain your F-1 visa status, you must:

  • Attend the school and degree program indicated on your I-20. Request a new form if there is any change in your degree level or major.
  • Carry a full course of study (9 credit hours for graduate students and 12 credit hours for undergraduate and associate students). Exceptions can be approved by the Academic Dean and designated School Officer.
  • Keep your I-20 form valid at all times. Check the expiration date in item #5 to ensure that it is still valid. Request a new form if any major changes occur in your situation (e.g., changes in source of funding, marital status, major, degree program, dependents).


All International Students MUST follow the required procedures (with the help of the Designated School Official/International Advisor)

  • ESL Program<18hours/Weekly>
  • Academic Program
  • Keep your passport valid at all times
  • Keep attendance above 85% and maintain your GPA above 2.0

15days grace-period

  • period from withdrawing from the program
  • suspended from the school
  • Failed to maintain your F-1 status by various reasons

  • 60day grace-period

    • Transferring
    • Completion of Study
    • After Post-Completion OPT

    Obtain prior permission from the school to

    • Extension of program BEFORE your I-20 expires
    • Withdraw from program
    • Drop below full course of studies
    • Renew/apply for a new visa
    • Apply for CPT/OPT or On/Off-campus employment
    • Change of program/major
    • Concurrent Enrollment
    • Transfer
    • Travel or going back to home-country after completing the program
    • Apply for reinstatement

    Update personal Information

    • Report any change of address or contact information within 10 days to International Student Office & USCIS
    • Form

    Required documents for re-entry to the United States

    • Valid passport that is valid for six months
    • Valid(Unexpired) U.S. entry visa
    • I-20 with a travel endorsement on page 3
    • Affidavit of Support
    • I-901 receipt notice

    Obtain prior authorization for employment
    Refrain from off-campus employment without ICE or school authorization. Off-campus work permission is approved ONLY by USCIS in case of an extraordinary circumstance. It is illegal to work without authorization and you are subject to deportation.

    • On-Campus Employment
    • Off-Campus Employment
    • CPT
    • OPT