Transfer of Credit

16960369Shepherd welcomes the transfer of coursework from accredited institutions. Such institutions have been accredited by an agency that is, in turn, recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation, or CHEA. Outside the U.S., such institutions are usually approved by a provincial or national authority such as the Ministry of Education. In order to request this transfer, you should arrange for an official transcript (signed and sealed) to be mailed directly from the previous institution to Shepherd’s Registrar’s Office.

Credit is evaluated on a course-by-course basis, a process requiring that course descriptions and credit values be comparable. Only courses in which the student earned a grade of “C” or higher are transferable; however, grades from transfer credits do not compute into Grade Point Averages (GPA). Grade Point Averages are computed solely on courses completed at Shepherd University.

Under exceptional circumstances and with the approval of the Academic Committee, transfer of credit may be possible from unaccredited institutions. The same procedures and requirements as were previously noted apply. In addition, Shepherd takes steps to ensure that coursework taken at the sending institution is comparable to coursework offered at Shepherd. These steps include one or more of the following:

  • Demonstration of achievement by means of comprehensive examinations
  • Review of syllabi, faculty credentials, grading standards, and other relevant learning resources at the sending institution
  • Analysis of previous experience regarding the success of transfers from the sending institution.

8592573Students who wish to apply transfer credit to their programs should immediately arrange for the transfer upon receiving a letter of acceptance. This must be done before registering for courses at Shepherd.

Generally, fifty percent of the semester hours in your undergraduate program must be completed at Shepherd in order to qualify for graduation. You cannot transfer more than 6 units into a graduate program at Shepherd. Depending on the program and circumstances, the number of transferable credits may vary.

In the School of Nursing and the School of IT, some restrictions may be applied regarding the transfer of major course credits. Nursing & IT students need to be well aware of the transfer policy by arranging a consultation with the administration office.